Tuesday, January 25, 2005

Takng a Break

I'm taking it easy tonight. I finally went and signed up for a library card. I read so quickly I haven't purchased a hardcover book in ages. It's just not worth spendnig 20 bones and being finished in a day or two. I was buying used paperbacks from a place in Clawson, but I don't get down there very often anymore. The library is a decent option. I just don't like the idea that a book I want may not be available. If I see something I want to read, I want it straight away. I get the feeling that reading a current bestseller is a longshot at the library. I checked the NYT top ten list and every book is checked out, and each branch of the library only carries one copy in my nape of the woods. Combine that with a 3 week (3 weeks!) checkout time, I doubt I'll be reading State of Fear anytime soon.

I've been on a sci-fi kick lately. It's wierd. I loved it as a kid and moved away until recently. I've always loved sci-fi movies, but stopped reading it for some reason. I think having children affected the types of things I like to read. I love the hope that exists in sci-fi. Sure there may be homocidal aliens, or the sun blinks out, but the humans are out there, travelling, discovering, finding a way to save the race. There is always that feeling of hope of what can be.

Well, I seem to be rambling on. Back tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.