Friday, February 18, 2005

My sister in law writes for a local paper and was thinking about writing a story about Lapeer which got me to thinking. The downtown area is tailor made for restaurants and bars. There is ample parking. There is space for sidewalk dining. In other words, downtown Lapeer already has the elements to have a vibrant (read -income producing) area. Other communities would die to have the space we have. There is plenty of parking. The street speeds are already locked at 25mph. It could really be a great place to be.

So, what do we have? One bar, a few restaurants, and a slew of businesses that I can't name, because none of them are interesting enough to get me to stop in.

The nightlife in Lapeer, and you can take your pick, is - drumroll....Meijer or Walmart. Wow. Outstanding. When we first moved to the city, we couldn't understand why teens in the area were hanging out at Meijer. Well, I can tell you there isn't anything else to do. Downtown Lapeer in the summer after 6pm is a ghost town, even on the weekends.

We could really have a great downtown that would be envied and that would bring people (and money) into Lapeer. I'm going to take some photos and show what a neat space we have and post them here.

1 comment:

  1. I AGREE WITH YOUR COMMENTS ON DOWNTOWN LAPEER, I THINK IT COULD BE LIKE ROCHESTER'S DOWNTOWN, YOU JUST NEED THE PEOPLE TO COME. I DO THINK THEY ARE WORKING IN THAT DIRECTIONS. WE HAVE THE BIG SCRAP BOOK STORE, POTTERY PLACE, A NEAT BOOK STORE AND A COUPLE OF OTHER PLACES, MORE RESTRUANTS, THATS WHAT WE NEED!

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.