Friday, June 15, 2007

Father's Day

There's a great article in the Wall Street Journal today by Tony Woodlief, the author of Raising Wild Boys Into Men: A Modern Dad's Survival Guide. Here are a few excerpts:

Judging by the greeting cards, Father's Day is like a Sabbath for many men, a
day Dad puts his feet up. I think the Almighty was able to rest one day a week
because he had just the two kids, only one of whom was male. I could really use
a restful Father's Day, but recently I found my sons huddled over a book on
traps, which makes me fear that they're planning for my gift to be something
live. Already this spring they've captured a snake, a bullfrog and at least one
deadly spider. While other men think about golfing or napping tomorrow, I'm
praying I can weather the day without getting bitten.

*****
Not only do I believe that trying to take the wildness out of boys is a
doomed social experiment, but I'm certain that genetic scientists will
eventually discover that males carry the Cowboy Gene. That's my name for
whatever is responsible for all the wrestling in my house, and the dunking
during bath time, and my 5-year-old's insistence on wearing his silver
six-shooters to Wal-Mart in order to protect our grocery cart. I only pray
that when the Cowboy Gene is discovered, some well-meaning utopian doesn't
try to transform it into a Tea Party Gene.
Be sure to also check out The Dangerous Book for Boys. A podcast of an interview with author Conn Iggulden can be found here.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.